tiistai 4. syyskuuta 2012

I have arrived!

After much pressure from one particular friend, no names mentioned here (coughjäbycough), I decided to put up a small blog to update whoever reads this about my time in Canada!

Since most of you will be my friends and family reading this I will not introduce myself here, I'm expecting all of you to know who I am :)  Therefore as you all know exchange studies are a part of my degree (Which I could not have been happier about) and as my friends will attest, the news of getting picked for Canada made me extremely overjoyed! (Studying at Vancouver Island University at Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada)

Now usually blogs are probably started off BEFORE departure to update on how things are not done yet, how nervous people are at that point and what are their expectations. Well, you aint getting that stuff now, sorry! Besides, having returned from India for only two weeks I did not have much time to stress anyway. SO there you have it!

After two weeks it was time to say goodbyes for now to all my dears and head to the airport to start my trip which included four flights all in all.


Out of these flights the last one was by sea plane and I was super excited about it! I even got the co-pilot seat, sitting next to the pilot and being able to speak to him during the flight!

'




After that excitement was over I hauled my luggage to the hotel and got some rest! Next day I walked to my school (About 3km, uphill) and got the keys to my room! My dad was here to help me out with setting my room and getting me acquainted with Nanaimo a bit so that's what we did for the next few days!



As you can see I share the room with myself (Though I have a bathroom-mate). It has been a little tricky because I can be quite messy and wont go to bed on time, but with the good old threatening, bribing and blackmailing I've been able to manage myself!

As I mentioned I got to know Nanaimo a bit, and a town close by called Chemainus which is know for murals! The first 4 pictures are from Nanaimo harbor area and from Dinghy Dock pub and restaurant (Delicious food I might add!) and the rest from Chemainus.




Definitely a boat worth taking picture off!









The famous Nanaimo bar!

Orientation started on Thursday and lasted for two days. On the first day we were divided by our areas, I was in management (Every area wore a certain color, ours was blue!) I actually do not have many pictures from orientation (Surprising isn't it!) but I guess it means I really enjoyed myself! We had some activities, getting to know each other and an adventure for letters from different places in the campus which combined was the slogan of VIU: Love where you learn. After this we had a BBQ and in the evening a movie (21 Jump Street) outside!

Second day of orientation was for international students, mainly information sessions. We even had the two officers from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police force to come and speak to us!


Saturday the school organised a trip to Victoria which is a beautiful city just a two hour drive from Nanaimo! I wanted to tour the museum first and got lost from others after that so I explored the city by myself!


Whale watching tours are one of the activities you can do in Victoria!

"Eat oysters, love longer"




Craigdarroch caste






What else could I tell you... Well my classes started today, I only had two lectures! Law and politics in Canada, and Negotiations. I am really excited about these two courses, especially about the later one. Hopefully the other one's will be equally great!

This was kind of a long post, mainly because I was fighting to the last minute to not start a blog. Finally I gave up the fight and here it is now. In the future I'll be posting about my life here whenever I have time and feel like it! Feel free to comment or ask about anything, and I'll more than likely also answer!

Have a great week everyone!

~Heidi

(Ja Suomeksi käännös. Kuten on tiedossa, olen nyt vihdoin Kanadassa vaihdossa, ja täällä on mahtavaa! Olin Suomessa vain kaksi viikkoa ennen tänne tuloa joten kauheasti aikaa ei ollut ressailuun. Pian olikin aika hyvästellä hetkeksi kaikki ja lähteä piiiitkälle lentomatkalle tänne Nanaimoon. Viimeinen lento oli vesitasolla, jossa pääsin apupilotin paikalle ja pääsin myös keskustelemaan lentokapteenin kanssa! Matka meni siis hyvin ja perillä ensimmäinen viikko meni käytännön asioissa: Huoneen valmiiksi laittoa ja orientaatiota alkavalle vuodelle. Iskä oli täällä auttamassa minua, ja samalla tutustuimme hiukan Nanaimoon sekä läheiseen Chemainuksen kaupunkiin (Tunnettu seinämaalauksistaan). Lauantaina lähdimme koulun järjestämälle reissulle läheiseen kaupunkiin Victoriaan joka on parin tunnin matkan päässä. Se on tunnettu upeista maisemistaan, ja se tuli myös itse todettua. Tällä viikolla koulu on alkanut ja toistaiseksi ollut todella mielenkiintoista! Tämä postaus on hiukan pidempi koska minulla kesti totuttautua ajatukseen että alkaisin tätä kirjoitella. Tulevaisuudessa postaan kun tulee siihen aihetta ja on aikaa. Hyvää alkavaa viikkoa kaikille!)

Ei kommentteja: